Lamb and eggs are, in our culture, Easter symbols as well as symbols of spring rebirth. This traditional recipe from Abruzzo uses these two ingredients to prepare an easy and delicious dish. Abruzzo has a long tradition of sheep farming and this is the reason why there are a lot of recipes from this region using lamb and cooking it in all different styles.
Serves 5 people
- 3.5 pounds of lamb preferably the shoulder or the leg
- 5 eggs
- 1 glass of good quality, dry, white wine
- 3.5 oz of grated pecorino cheese
- 4 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of peeled garlic
- salt and pepper to your taste
First cut the lamb into small pieces. Place EV Olive Oil and crushed garlic cloves in a cooking pan and brown slightly, then add the pieces of lamb and evenly brown them too. Add the white wine and let it evaporate. Add salt, pepper and finish the cooking. Separately beat the eggs and pecorino cheese together. Pour this mixture into the pan where lamb is cooking. Keep stirring constantly at low heat until eggs and cheese have thickened around the meat making a nice and tasty coating. Serve hot with steamed potatoes on the side.